ISULAN PROFILE

its first endorsement to the provincial board and laid down the proposed boundaries of the new municipality. ... the early settlers decided to call an...

0 downloads 1 Views 142KB Size
ISULAN PROFILE

Elected Municipal Officials Municipal Mayor: Vice- Mayor:

Hon. Diosdado G. Pallasigue Hon. Arnold H. Armada, Ll.B.

Sangguniang Bayan Members: 1. Hon. Carlo F. Apiado 2. Hon. Pableto A. Rendon, Jr. 3. Hon. Joselito M. Valencia 4. Hon. Lord Dean H. Castillo 5. Hon. Al John V. Distor 6. Hon. Rogie E. Aristoza 7. Hon. Ana Fe M. Collado 8. Hon. Elno S. Segura Sectoral Representatives: 1. ABC Representative - Hon. Noel L. Lozada 2. SK Chairman Federation - Hon. Rynnjudd C. Escaño Brief History The present territories of Isulan formerly belonged to the municipalities of Koronadal and Dulawan. The municipality of Koronadal was created under E.O. No. 82 dated August 8, 1947 by Pres. Manuel L. Roxas 0n March 10, 1953, the municipality of Norala, Cotabato was created by virtue of E.O.NO.572, whose territorial jurisdiction was taken from the municipality of Koronadal. Datu Kudanding Camsa in the latter part of 1956 initiated the creation of another municipality to be taken from the Municipality of Norala, Cotabato. On March 20, 1957, Engr. Jose M. Ancheta of the Bureau of Public Highways of Cotabato made its first endorsement to the provincial board and laid down the proposed boundaries of the new municipality. Acting on this report, the provincial board of Cotabato thru Resolution No. 316 series of 1957, petitioned the President of the Philippines to create the proposed municipality. Executive Order No. 266, pursuant to section 68 of the Administrative Code, issued and signed by the then President Carlos P. Garcia on August 30, 1957, creating the municipality of Isulan, whose territorial jurisdiction was taken from the municipality of Norala, Cotabato and Dulawan, Cotabato (Now Datu Piang, Maguindanao).

With the creation of the municipality of Isulan, Kalawag became the seat of its government. The municipal government officially functioned on September 12, 1957 with the appointment of its municipal mayor Datu Suma Ampatuan who served until 1967. THE KALAWAG SETTLEMENT In 1951, the Board of Directors of the Land Settlement and Development Cooperation (LASEDECO) started the opening of a settlement in an area formerly under the jurisdiction of the National Land Settlement Association (NLSA) as a reservation. The LASEDECO had surveyed and parceled out home and farmlots and constructed municipal and barrio roads and installed electrical light generators. It had brought-in hundreds of farm tractors which uprooted big trees, cleared obstruction, planned, cleaned and harrowed the wide stretches of the area. What was once a marshy and wild expanse inhabited by snakes, crocodiles, wild cattle, swine, and deer had welcomed the first sprout of seedlings of corn and rice, thus blanketed the horizon in endless green. When a group of 72 World War II Veterans, led by Venancio Magbanua, Post Commander of Norala had come and settled in the area, on September 7, 1950, a Kalawag root crop used as food coloring was found out abundantly growing. Then, the early settlers decided to call and register the settlement as “Kalawag Settlement District of LASEDECO”. The area comprising the townsite covers approximately 400 hectares. Immigrants from Visayas and Luzon had now come in shiploads. The most numerous batch was the “PACSA” group headed by Pedro Gabriel and Bienvenido Pamintuan otherwise known as the “Presidential Assistance Commission on Social Amelioration of the President Ramon Magsaysay. His group consisted of the erstwhile and rebellious surrenderees belonging to HUKBALAHAPs from Pampanga. NAMING THE TOWN The Christian settlers would have preferred to decide the name of their new town by referendum. However, Datu Kudanding Camsa, both revered and feared had decided it by himself. Datu Kudanding had reacted to history of local battles way back in the early 19th century when a sultanate in the adjacent town of Maganoy under Sultan Utto with a vast army decided to attack a small municipality located in the area now encompassed by the new entity under the leadership of Sultan Mofac. Outnumbered with the ratio of 20:1, Mofac on a white horse decided to do battle with his men notwithstanding the odds. The battle cry of Mofac was the uttering of the word, “ISU-SILAN” which means “They are there, advance”. This intrepid, although suicidal show of force and determination , so impressed by UTTO, that in order to save lives on both sides, he decided to resolve the issue by negotiation, thus placing Mofac and his principality under his protectorate of Utto, Isulan municipality derived its name from “ISU-SILAN “ which means “Progress”.

On June 21, 1969, President Marcos, signed R.A. No. 5960, creating the municipality of Bagumbayan which cost Isulan more than 85% of its original land area. But of the original land area of 336,000 hectares, only 49,551 hectares were left and from 48 barrios, 17. The present Isulan is bounded on the North by the Municipality of Esperanza and Lambayong, all of Sultan Kudarat, on the east by Norala, South Cotabato and Tacurong, Sultan Kudarat, on the south by Sto. Niño, South Cotabato, and on the west by Bagumbayan, Kalamansig, Lebak and Sen. Ninoy Aquino. Upon the passage of H.B. No. 5020 dividing the empire province of Cotabato, The Municipal Council of Isulan passed Resolution No. 17 dated May 31, 1972, requesting Hon. Congressman Salipada K. Pendatun and Hon. Gov. Carlos B. Cajelo that Isulan be made a capital town. On November 22, 1973, P.D. No. 341 was issued dividing Cotabato provinces, namely; Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao, and North Cotabato. Isulan which is the center of Sultan Kudarat Province was made its capital town. Financial Resources • • •

Income Class – 1st Class Income IRA -

Land Area - 54,587 hectares (cadastral survey, Nov. 2008) Political Subdivision Isulan is composed of 17 barangays, namely: 1. Bambad 2. Bual 3. D’Lotilla 4. Dansuli 5. Impao 6. Kalawag I 7. Kalawag II 8. Kalawag III 9. Kenram 10. Kolambog 11. Kudanding 12. Lagandang 13. Laguilayan 14. Mapantig 15. New Pangasinan 16. Sampao 17. Tayugo

Population 1. 2. 3. 4.

Total Population – 79,277 Population Density – 208 persons/sq.km. Population Growth Rate - 1.12% Registered Voters – 52,680

Economy •

Major Products/ Crops: Rice, banana & oil palm

Festival PASUNDAYAG Every month of September, the municipality of Isulan is conducting the PASUNDAYAG FESTIVAL to celebrate its Foundation Anniversary. ISULANONS believe that the wealth of arts and culture is expressed in many forms and in so many kinds. The PASUNDAYAG Festival showcases the skills and talents in literary, musical and cultural aspects of the constituents both the young and the old. It is not only unique but is reflective of a special talent in the person as well. The PASUNDAYAG also depicts the thanksgiving festival of its residents who are mostly engaged in agriculture. This includes rice and corn farming, vegetables and crops production including the famous African palm which has contributed a lot to the utilization of its by-products as construction materials – the uniquely woven ”kalakat” known all over Mindanao. The festival is divided into two parts: the first part shows the different activities being done in the farm. After which a thanksgiving is performed for their good harvest. The second part shows the merrymaking in the form of dance using different properties and materials that make it very festive. As a whole, the PASUNDAYAG Festival actually expresses life itself or deep-seated emotion communicated by the emotions of the human body blending with the music. The flow of body movements, the sound of the music and the grace with which the dance is executed all build up the story or emotions being communicated. No doubt, this is a unique form of art, and along with other activities or talent being displayed during festivities, it is a contribution to the dreams of establishing solidarity among the peoples in the province of Sultan Kudarat. Tourist Spots Lagandang Hot/ Sulphur Spring Kamanga Cave and Falls